Welcome to Diecast Gems. I am Phil Silvester, a collector of diecast toys for over 40 years. I retired in 2012 from a career in Financial services. This site has been launched to provide a new source of quality diecast models for sale to the discerning collector.
As a child Dinky and Corgi toys were always my favourite toy, more than train sets, Scalextric, soldiers and anything else. The primrose yellow Euclid Dumper truck holds my oldest memory, but my real love was always cars. My favourite period is post war to mid-60,s, but I have also developed some knowledge of pre war dinky diecast.
I have been a keen collector of Dinky, Spot On and Corgi for many years. In more recent years I have added Pathfinder and Dinky Atlas. I have contributed to Ramsey’s British Diecast Catalogue for the last two issues, completely revamping the listings and values of the post war car and farm related sections. I enjoyed a TV slot on an Inside Out programme when I was interviewed about the diecast collecting world. I have written articles for collecting magazines.
Why set up Diecast Gems and why the name? The idea of the website is multi-purpose: To sell, buy, educate, stimulate and hopefully produce a site that other collectors will enjoy viewing regularly. Also to identify when a special model becomes available, balanced between rarity and condition, it will be flagged up as "A Diecast Gem".
• To bring models of the highest quality to the market on a consistent basis. My target market, both to buy and sell, is at the highest level both on condition and rarity.
I will always try to describe any model honestly and to the best of my ability. I am not looking for a quick sale but hopefully long term custom.
• To communicate and deal with like-minded enthusiasts.
• To create a website for other collectors and enthusiasts to enjoy and through this, to build genuine relationships where I can be of assistance in building a collection. This hobby has given me so much pleasure over the years, I hope I can add to the experience of other collectors.
• My website, though primarily a sales site, will also provide regular articles to provide information on a model, its variations and history.
• Modern themes will also be included, such as Dinky Atlas and Pathfinder models, alongside obsoletes such as Dinky.
• In due course I would like to provide a service to help collectors sell a rare model or collection, providing there is consistency of condition that compliments Diecast Gems.
This only leaves me to wish you pleasure with your hobby and I look forward to being of assistance.
Friends & Partners